Friday, April 17, 2009

Spring Means...

"In the dark silence of her chambers low, March works out sweeter things than mortals know." This is a line from a poem by Mary Riley Smith. I don't recall the rest of the poem or to what the poet may have been alluding, but this has always been one of my favorite lines of poetry. I'd like to think that the poem refers to spring commencing in March. Spring is one of my favorite times of year for a lot of reasons.

1) I'm a spring baby so perhaps the season simply resonates with me on a molecular level.

2) My car is once again a functional convertible. The top comes down. I love to drive my car all the time, but especially after the winter.

3) I do not have to shovel any more of this (usually):

We had a lot of snow this past winter so spring is especially welcome this year.

4) I can play golf. I checked today and my favorite practice course is open.

5) The small humans would rather be outside than in the house. That means less mess in the house.

and, last and possibly most important,

6) I can garden again. There is nothing quite like heading into my gardens for the first time each spring and moving the dead leaves away from a plant and spotting that small first growth. It never fails to give me a thrill. I've cleaned up four of my seven gardens so far. I've purchased some new plants and have a few on order that will not arrive until next month. Spring also brings daffodils. See:

And the promise of more beautiful flowers to come:

Qwill's Qwestion: What season makes you the happiest?

3 comments:

  1. I'm a freak - I love summer, but maybe for the same reason you like spring? I was born in July, in the muggy, hot Illinois summer... and the Nevada dry heat makes my skin sing. And the skies here are so blue and clear that time of year. Besides, its swimming season, baseball season, and school is out.

    I just hope spring stays for you guys this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While Spring is nice, I am a Fall/Autumn person. I think that is because I have lived in the South all of my life -- Fall starts a slightly cooler season, so I always looked forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an Illinois native who has lived in places without dramatic season changes for the last 8 years, I miss them in general. I always loved autumn the best.

    ReplyDelete