Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving and Cranberry-Ginger Chutney - November 24, 2010

This is one of my absolute favorite dishes that I serve at Thanksgiving. It can be a little spicy or not. Just adjust the amount of cayenne pepper that you add. I suggest that you at least double the recipe because it's really good.

CRANBERRY-GINGER CHUTNEY

1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries
16 dried apricots, quartered
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup dried currants
2 tablespoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons cranberry juice cocktail
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all ingredients in heavy medium saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Increase heat to high and boil 3 minutes. Transfer
to a bowl. Cool. This chutney can be prepared up
to one week ahead of time. Refrigerate in an air-
tight container.

I don't remember from which cookbook I got this recipe. I believe it's from the Holidays Cookbook by Virgina Hoffman. I'll attribute it properly when I find the cookbook. I have over 1,000 cookbooks so that may take a while. I'll post pictures of the Chutney when I make it later today.

Here's my Thanksgiving Day menu:

Roast Turkey with My Mom's Chestnut Stuffing
The stuffing is delicious. I love chestnuts. I finally learned the secret of roasting them properly last year!

Roasted Potatoes, Carrot, Parsnips, and Brussels Sprouts
Potatoes = red bliss potatoes and sweet potatoes. This is a Giada De Laurentiis recipe. 

My Mom's Sweet Potato Thanksgiving Bake
I don't entirely remember this recipe, but a friend of my Mom's submitted to the newspaper and it was printed a couple of weeks ago.

Cranberry-Ginger Chutney

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
It's really easy and looks nice. The recipe is from the Everyday Food magazine a few years ago.


I also bought a pumpkin pie and an apple pie.

I'll roast the chestnuts this evening and make the Chutney as well. Everything else can wait until tomorrow. I'll be up early to put the turkey in the oven. It's a big bird and needs time to cook just right.

3 comments:

  1. I have heathens living at my house now, and the only cranberry item they like is the canned jelly-stuff you slice, so for the first time in eons (EONS, I tell ya!) I will not be making fresh cranberry sauce. This hurts a little, but I know too much would be wasted if I had to eat it all myself. *sigh* Otherwise I bet I'd be trying your yummy sounding chutney. Maybe next year... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy -- and I love that it includes cayenne -- I bet this is delish on sandwiches!

    One of my favorite uses of left over chutney is as a basic of a salad vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too late for me to make this for Thanksgiving but it's definitely going on the Christmas menu! YUM

    ReplyDelete