Saturday, October 13, 2012

New York Comic Con 2012, Part 1 - October 12, 2012

I arrived at New York Comic Con 2012 yesterday morning. There were lines snaking here and there in front of the Javits Center. Bigger lines than I'd ever seen. Wow! Inside the Con the set up had been changed as well.  Artist Alley is at the North end of the Javits Center in it own cavernous room. Signing Tables are downstairs making it easy to find them and eliminating the huge lines that used to snake onto the main floor when the signing tables were upstairs. For the Signing Tables, fans bring their own books to sign and memorabilia to be signed. This change may have happened last year, but I had a truncated visit to NY Comic Con 2011 so can't say definitely. The main exhibitor floor has spread into what used to Artist Alley. All in all my initial impression is that New York Comic Con is bigger and better than ever!

Yesterday I concentrated mainly on the literary aspects of the Con. I listened to some panels (which I will do again today). I also met some amazing authors.


Part of the sea of people inside the Javits Center

If you walk to the very end, turn left, then right you
will find Artist Alley



As some of you know, one of my favorite PC games in Minecraft. 
Check out this awesome Minecraft Cosplay!





Peter V. Brett signing The Warded Man




Michael P. Spradlin signing Blood Riders




More Cosplay - Batman




More Batman Cosplay




Pikmin Cosplay




(at the Autographing Tables)




(holding a The Qwillery pin)




(at the Autographing Tables)




Ransom Riggs signing Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children




Max Gladstone signing Three Parts Dead




G.T. Almasi signing Blades of Winter




Nicole Peeler signing Tempest's Fury




And surprise! Kevin Hearne was on line behind me. 
Kevin writes the fantastic Iron Druid Chronicles.
(Honestly, this was almost too much awesome in one place!)




Christopher L. Bennett signing Only Superhuman




Nicely stacked books - Only Superhuman




Nintendo is at Comic Con with Wii U. I'll be checking that out on Sunday
because my 11 year-old son will be joining me.




I picked up a present for my son. It's a limited edition Squidqueen by the wonderfully talented Ben Templesmith.

Here is Ben adding the green watercolor to the piece, which makes each Squidqueen unique.







Today I hope to spend time viewing the comics portion of Comic Con as well as visiting Artist's Alley again. There are also a few signings I want to try to go to. On Sunday, the kids will be with me so it will be gaming and vendors!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a blast! I can't believe I missed you in the Nicole Peeler line, as we were in line in front of Kevin! Hope you enjoy Sat and Sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drat! We've probably been doing that at a bunch of lines!

      Delete
  2. Awesome pics! It does look like so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's great fun!! It's bigger and I must say better this year.

      Delete